Sunday, August 26, 2007

If the Savior Stood Beside Me....

The Kearney Third Ward Youth Choir sang "If the Savior Stood Beside Me" in sacrament today.... This is a voluntary choir that meets every Sunday after church for 1/2 hour. They were asked to come up with a special musical number for this week four weeks ago. Why? Because we were having Stake President Lehnardt speak. With just four short weeks to come up with a special musical number, you might think this would be a difficult task... not so. Every week the choir grew and grew. In fact a few friends from Kearney First Ward joined as well. What started as an idea... a Youth Choir, wouldn't that be nice.... became a mission, if you will.... in fact word spread throughout the stake of a great Youth Choir and the missionary tool it could become. They had not yet sung one note, but word had spread.

Well let me say... when 50+ young men and women voluntarily join in song... hearts are turned. Sacrament started with a beautiful talk on service by Sister Belcher. She spoke of the importance of service, particularly - building maintenance. During her talk other than a few small children's squeals and such... it was quite nice. Then the Youth stood in mass and began to sing... a hush fell over all of sacrament. I testify, that when they began to sing, all noise ceased and true peace fell over the congregation, the words of the song touched the hearts of all present. This is what song can do! President Lehnardt had tears in his eyes when he stood to speak and was quite choked up. He said he wished he had been able to see the faces of the youth, but he new he heard the sounds of angels!

IF THE SAVIOR STOOD BESIDE ME...

If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do?
Would I think of his commandments, and try harder to be true?
Would I follow his example? Would I live more righteously?
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

If the Saviour stood beside me, would I say the things I say?
Would my words be true and kind if he were never far away?
Would I try to share the gospel? Would I speak more reverently?
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, Watching over me?

He is always near me, though I do not see him there,
And because he love me dearly, I am in his watchful care,
So I'll be the kind of person, that I know I'd like to be,
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, Watching over me.

I'll be the kind of person, that I know I'd like to be,
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, Watching Over Me!

~ Sally DeFord

Thank you to the Kearney 3rd Ward Youth Choir, for setting the tone for the rest of the day. Thank you for your willingness to be a missionary through song. It was truly glorious and brought tears to my eyes and spoke to my heart. If we but follow the lyrics of the song, and truly ask ourselves "If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do?" If this was in our thoughts before we took actions, or spoke harshly, think of the change that could come. I pray that I can learn to take this song to heart and instill it in my life.

3 comments:

**Wendy's At It Again** said...

Thanks Kim,
This is a beautiful thought. One I am constantly trying to remind myself of. How easily we do forget. Thanks for all your help and kindness. Love You...Wen

Laura said...

I agree... I was there... and it was beautiful. It always gives me great hope for the future of the church when I hear the youth sing. It makes me happy to hear how strong their testimonies are through song...because you could see that each of them believed in the words they were singing. It was wonderful!

Jenny said...

I love this song and it is so true about our youth! I am one of those people that bears testimony thru song and I am grateful that you shared this, again bearing testtimony. It is thru the telling that all our testimonies get strengthened.
P.S. Thanks for loving my boy!