Wednesday, August 1, 2007

We could tell at an early age...

We could tell at an early age that Zachary Ryan Richardson had a little something extra. Look at this attitude... Look at this style... Look at this unbelievably handsome baby. Yes my little Zach-man is growing up and when he sees this blog I may no longer have any fingers. Well maybe nothing quite so drastic... but I bet if he knew why I needed the help with the scanner... he wouldn't have been quite so helpful. I can't believe that it has been sixteen years since he was born.

I can remember so clearly the morning of his birth (Aug. 2, 1991). Brent and I were living in St. Joseph and I was going to my original O.B. in Kansas City. I was in pre-labor and my doctor asked me not to go back to St Joe because he didn't want me so far from the hospital. Lucky for us, we were able to stay with Brent's mom and dad in Liberty. Brent, aka...BJ Scott the super jock, got up early for work and went into the radio station. Misty and I were still at his mom and dad's house. I wake up and go down stairs to get something to drink and guess what... while standing on his mom's kitchen carpet... yep... my water breaks... only it wasn't only my water... I didn't realize there wasn't supposed to be all that red blood. (By the way... the carpet was never the same and Mom got hardwood floor out of the deal) He was kicking and moving so I was thinking cool. HERE HE COMES.... YEAH! That was until Sandy came down stairs and FREAKED OUT! I'm on the phone with the doc..."My water broke... I'm on my way to the hospital" and she screams!

Now you have to know that Sandy's house and car were always immaculate... she grabs Misty... a black trash bag to place on the powder blue cloth seats of her Cadillac and about twenty towels and out the door we fly. I'm not even sure she ever slowed down on the way to the hospital. We are calling Dad and Brent and my parents... I am still thinking everything is cool...cuz hey he's still moving... all must be fine... wasn't too worried about me. This is my third baby after all. I get to the hospital and all heck breaks loose. They are rushing me to an examining room and in walks my doc.... Kimberly we are going to have to take this baby C-section! "What!!! no... no... no... I want to have him normal like all the rest." "Well Ms. Richardson then you shouldn't have bled all over my floor!" So I sob..."You have to wait for Brent... he missed Misty's birth (well all except the afterbirth... but that is another story) and he can't possibly miss this one too!" Doctor Nagy says, "He has till they get you prepared for surgery and no longer." Brent is flyin'... I mean driving from St Joe...Dad and mom are hurrying from Kansas City... Brent's dad beats them all to the hospital and he was in Olathe at the time. Pretty much... speed limits were broken by all... and our guardian angels were watching over us. Everyone made it there in time.
Look at this attitude.... Look at this style... Look at my unbelievably handsome 16 year old son. Zachary, I love you and admire you. You bring me joy and you are worth every moment of fear that came with your exciting birth. HAPPY 16th BIRTHDAY!! ~ no worries yet on the highways... the drivers license is still a month or so off.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

He's a stud! We love him.

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

Thanks for making my cry first thing in the morning! Maybe I am a little "soft" about everything baby or birth right now...Anyway, babies are so wonderful, and to have him here and be 16...CRAZY! I can hardly believe how fast the time goes once you have a baby. Zach is a sweetie, too!! And you are a Momma I admire..."that Kimberly, she's one tough chick!" (that's a quote by me:)
So, happy birthday to your boy....on a personal note...I think the Mom should get the gifts on her child's birthday....hello??? we did all the work, right?! It is so ironic that we go through pregnancy, labor and delivery and then EVERY year after that, make their special meal, shower them with gifts and plan parties they talk about forever. Isn't being a Mom the best thing EVER!!!