Saturday, February 2, 2008

Far West... and other historic sites

The Not So LDS Temple... or what used to be called the RLDS Temple, where they hold daily prayer meetings for peace. It made for a pretty picture in the sunshine.
Alex at one of the scenic overlooks at Adam Ondi Ahman.
Last weekend Brent, the boys, and I went on a LDS historic drive. We went to see the Independence Visitors Center that had been recently renovated. We went through the entire tour and had a wonderful time. I love both the family rooms upstairs and the new pioneer rooms downstairs. We had the sweetest sister missionary take us through. It was a wonderful moving experience.

Then from there we drove to Far West. I am ashamed to say I had never been prior to this. I loved the tranquil moments in the sunshine and snow. The weather was perfect... close to 60... the sun was shining and it was absolutely beautiful. It's so exciting to know that some day a temple will be on that site and that it was selected by the Lord so many years ago.

Our final stop took us to Adam Ondi Ahman. There was still quite a bit of snow there. It made for a pretty messy drive, but Brent, Alex, and I thought it was well worth the drive. Zach had been there before and was ready to go home after Far West. It was a great day and I'm sorry it took us so long to do this. Both areas were full of beauty and peace. I can see why so many saints have been drawn to this area. I look forward to my next visit in the spring.

1 comments:

The Smiths said...

This looks like a lot of fun. We just had one of our young men called to Independence Missouri Mission!!! I told him I knew where he could get a few meals when he was in the neighborhood. His name is Brandon Streator. He will be a great missionary.