Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Count Your Blessings....

Name them one by one... At church on Sunday President Barzee (spelling???) spoke on not only counting your blessings, weighing your blessings, knowing how extraordinary they are. It was a wonderful talk. We were also counseled to be thankful for the trials that shaped our lives. Now that is somewhat more difficult to do when we are in the thick of the trial, but as is often the case, we are able to look back on a situation and see how it helped us to learn and grow.

I think my biggest trials would be the loss of my family members... it started with my brother, Gregory, the very first month of Brent's and my life together... then barely a year and a half later my sweet nephew, Gregory... then less than a year later our own first son, Nicholas.... then my Father, we thought he was invincible... then we lost Sandy, Brent's momma and one of my very dearest friends and counselors... then my momma, my rock and shining example.... now mixed in there we also lost all but one grandparent (each one dear and loved) and an aunt or three as well. Each of these family members played a major roll in shaping my life. They brought me joy and taught me countless lessons. I thought their loss took a little piece of my heart each time, but what I have found is that it has grown back and expanded to recall sweet memories of love and joy and family treasures.

I think my greatest blessings would first and foremost be my family. They have made me who and what I am. Brenton is ever patient, even when he's been pushed to the brink. My children are forever amazing me with their vitality and joy of life. I'm thankful for my family members gained through marriage, both mine and Misty's. I have and had the best In-Laws a girl could ever ask for. Skip and Sandy and Phyllis are all I could have asked for and more. My sisters and brothers are ever dear and I love them and miss them when we're apart. Then there is Gideon and Ashelyn... I can't believe the joy they have brought to our family.... So I am counting my blessings and recognizing their extraordinary worth. Thank you to each and everyone in my life.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love you Momma.

Laura said...

Yes, we were definitely on the same page. :) Loved his talk-- I think it "spoke" to a lot of people. Always a good reminder to count our many blessings.

**Wendy's At It Again** said...

Kim,
Thanks for your thoughtful blog. It helped to lift my spirits. I feel so much the same as you. How thankful I am for the ones we have loved who are no longer with us. I know they are only awaiting the time we can be together again, just as we are also. I know our sweet memories of them, though sometimes painful, are our most treasured moments renewed. Thanks, Kim, just for being who you are.
Love, Your Sis,
Wendy